Indeed, it was not until 2013 that a behavioral problem “without substance” was recognized as a “real” addiction [American Psychiatric Association. Pathological gambling has thus become the first official behavioral addiction even though clinicians and researchers have long regarded this disorder as an addiction. On the other hand, many excessive behaviors still remain “eligible” for the rank of addiction (i.e., work, sport, sex, etc.). Among them, the Pathological Use of Video Games has received special attention from the American Association of Psychiatry.
The Proceedings of Internet
The advent of the Internet has had a strong interest in addict ology. The Internet is rapidly evolving towards greater accessibility and diversity in its use, including for video games. And among its users, some have a pathological use that can take different forms (addiction to social networks, compulsive shopping, pornography, etc.).
- Sustained debates have taken place around the UPJV, as to its nature as a real or simple addiction associated with other pathologies. However, many authors show that considering the UPJV as an addiction is a viable approach.
- The growing enthusiasm for UPJV has led the American Psychiatric Association to consider this issue in the fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Thus, Internet gaming disorder has been integrated in section III of the DSM-V and translated into the French version of the DSM-V by pathological use of games on the Internet (cf. Table 1 for the diagnostic criteria). The introduction in section III shows that this nosography entity is not yet considered as pathology in itself, but that researchers and clinicians are invited to continue studies on this phenomenon.
Persistent and repeated use of the Internet to practice games, often with other players, leading to clinically significant impairment or distress as evidenced by at least five of the following events over a twelve-month period. You can make use of the Run 3 unblocked site for the best deals now.
The Internet Games
Concern about Internet games (the person remembers past game experiences or plans to play games on the Internet become the dominant activity of everyday life).This disorder is distinct from gambling on the Internet, which is part of the pathological gambling.
Withdrawal symptoms when access to Internet games is suppressed (these symptoms are typically characterized by irritability, anxiety or sadness, but without any physical sign of pharmacological withdrawal).
- Tolerance is in the need to devote increasing periods of time to games on the Internet.
- Ineffective attempts for controllinginvolvement in Internet games.
- Loss of interest in earlier hobbies and entertainment due to, and with the omission of, Internet gaming.
- Excessive gambling on the Internet is continued although the person is aware of his psychosocial problems.
- Tell his family, his therapists or others about the extent of the game on the Internet.
- Play on the Internet to escape or relieve a negative mood (e.g. feelings of helplessness, guilt, anxiety).
Endangers or loses an important affective relationship, employment or educational or career opportunities due to participation in Internet games.